CURRENTLY ACCEPTING NEW CLIENTS
Senior Monongalians currently has room to expand its Home Delivered Meals services to include more clients. We would be happy to discuss the program and eligibility with you. For more information, please read below and/or call Cathy at 304-296-9812.
Why Would I Apply?
Are you or a loved one home-bound? Do you worry as to whether your loved one is getting a hot meal everyday? Does thinking of making something for lunch or dinner seem daunting to you or a loved one? If you have answered yes to one or more of these questions, consider enrolling in Senior Monongalians' Home Delivered Meals Program. We deliver hot, nutritious meals to homebound seniors four days a week, Tuesday through Friday, along with three frozen meals for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.
How it Works
- Someone from our social services department will make an appointment to visit you at home for an evaluation.
If eligible, delivery usually begins within the same week as the evaluation.
Meals are delivered between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Follow-up evaluations usually occur every six months.
To apply for the Home Delivered Meals Program, contact Cathy at 304-296-9812.
Meal Preparation Info
Our kitchen staff prepares all the meals that are delivered to our participants. It is usually the same meal as we serve to guests in the center, however, menus are subject to change without notice. After the meals are cooked, they are individually packaged for delivery. Meals are then loaded onto our hot and cold delivery truck to ensure a health department approved temperature until final delivery. All meals are served with an individual carton of milk.
Senior Monongalians currently deliver meals in reusable, microwave safe trays. Participants rinse the trays and return to their delivery driver the next day. The kitchen staff then washes and sanitizes the trays for re-use.
- Must be 60+ years of age.
- Must be either homebound or living alone, and physically or mentally unable to obtain food and/or prepare meals.
- Spouses of an eligible participant, and/or disabled persons residing in the home of a participant, are also eligible to receive meals, regardless of age.
- Disabled persons living with an eligible participant do not need to be related to the participant to be eligible.
There is no required fee for our home delivered meals. Only a suggested donation, based on monthly income, is accepted to supplement the federal and state funding allocations for the program.
- The suggested contribution for someone with a monthly income of $0 - $700.00 is $2:00 for each meal.
- The suggested contribution for someone with a monthly income of $701.00 - $901.00 is $2.25 for each meal.
- The suggested contribution for someone with a monthly income of $901.00 - $1200.00 is $3.75 for each meal.
- The suggested contribution for someone with a monthly income of $1,200.00 or more, is $5.00 for each meal.
The average cost to prepare one meal is $8.67.
This cost includes meal preparation, packaging, transportation, and wages.
Senior Monongalians has two 'Hot & Cold' Trucks to deliver meals. These trucks keep meal temperatures at health department approved standards during transport, and ensure the meals are ready for clients to eat upon delivery.
How to Apply
For more information on the Home Delivered Meals Program or to apply for this service, contact Cathy at 304-296-9812.